Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Pets

When you think of pets, you think dog or cat. Did you think of a bird?

You may think some birds are "objects" left in a cage to look at. Not mine. As I may have mentioned I have a Quaker parrot named "Scooby". I have had her for nearly 3 years now. She is of the smaller parrot variety, larger than a cockateil, smaller than a African Grey.

Quaker Parrots are very curious, social and engaging and loud. They often act like they are the center of attention. Did I mention that they can be loud? I must say though that I have come to find that they are not much different than having a dog or a cat. She is very interactive, too much sometimes.

We have for the most part kept her wings clipped until recently that is. She now flies all over the house, whever and whenever she wants. Mostly to me :sigh:. I think I have turned into a magnet, because as I walk through the house, she is often sucked from wherever she may be and instantly is attached to my shoulder. My boyfriend and I play this new game . . . "Pass the Parrot". Whoever winds up with her loses.

We talk to her as one would talk to a cat or dog and worry about her getting into things, eating things she shouldn't. You might be very surprised how varied her diet is. Besides "Parrot Food" that is available to her all day, she eats the following (not all at once or even all in a day)

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, waffles, toast, hash browns
Lunch: Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich (bites of mine of course) Rice, Noodles
Dinner: Usually watever I'm eating, snatched from my plate of course.
Snacks throughout the day: Apples, Grapes, Corn on the Cob, Broccoli, Nuts

Favorite Foods: Pizza Crust.

Food No-No's: Both Deadly- Avacodo and Chocolate

Even as I type this up, she is squawking for attention. When I look over at her she is quite, look away "Ack, Ack, Ack!!"

Yeah she does talk . . . a little. She says, "Step Up" and "Where's Scooby". That about sums it up. Yup, 3 years and only two things. She actually does say other things but they are very muted and "under her breath" but I know what she is saying. For example, when I get her up in the morning I say "Good Morning" and she "says" something which I know to be her version of "Good Morning".

She has quite the attitude as well. She gets very angry when we go out. Let's just say that to say "Bye-Bye" without her in the cage will most likely get you bit. She knows that Bye-Bye means she is going to be alone which she abhors.

But I love her and when I figure out how to post pictures you will see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment